Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Bamboo diary: Light for Moso

My moso seedlings have been in a bad shape lately. They seem to be wilted. One of them especially. I figured that it must be the lack of light, since it’s winter here and the days are shorter. So, I’ve been carrying them around the house every day to get them as much sun as I can. But last night, I didn't take them back to the room, so my mom almost stepped on them, because they were in her room at the balcony door. And then I had enough.


Only 8 (out of 10) of seedlengs has survived so far.

The oldest seedling is probably suffering, with chlorosis, that is.
 And the bright one is at the worst for now.
Bambos are accopanied by a Dracena drako seedling, I got the seed at Tenerife islands this summer, where I went on vacation.

Today I bought them a lamp (Megaman plant lamp BRO515P). It was a bit more on the expensive side, but I think it should do, for I want what's best for my plants. I was looking for it at almost every specialized store there is, that I've known of, but they only kept neon lamps, and I don't have a fitting lamp for such bulbs. So, I almost gave up. But then, in the last store I went to, I found the right one. It was just right for my old table lamp.

So this is how I did it:



I fixed the lamp on the table, which I refer to as the 'table lamp', and because the thing is old, the screws that should hold the lamp in position that you had set, didn’t do their job, I had to block it with a wooden stick. And then of course, put the bulb in.




I set the light on timer for 12 hours (from 6am to 6 pm), and so turned the light on. I hope that now my little mosos will be all right. I just wonder, if I should give some fertilizer to seedlings.

So, read you next time!

Uroš

1 comment:

rogo said...

I am courious about the results of your light experiment with the Megaman plant lamp BRO515P.
12 hours you started with... Enough or..?
And what hight above the plants?

Hope you still react on those old experiments of you!
Rob

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...