Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Toads and spring flowers


I realy like toads. Of course, a lot of people think that this litle amphibian is full of warts, that it's hideous, and many things more… Well, I allways say - to those who think like that - : Have you ever taken a look at their eyes, and if you didn’t - you should, because you would see then that they have eyes in colors of noble metals like bronze, silver, and even gold. And to top all that, this is a realy garden friendly animal. It eats slugs, like the Spanis slug, which is a big problem in most of the gardens across the whole Europe.

So, this saturday I went to Češnjevek to the fishing ponds, because I heard that toads have started their mating season.
It was a sunny day and the common toad, also called European toad (Bufo bufo), is to be honest, very common in our country, so I knew I will find this sort there.


I saw a few pairs right away, while I was driving by the first pond. 

When I came there, I saw a few in the first pond next to driveway. It is one of the smallest ponds, so probably it’s the warmest one for now, because in all of the others I haven't found any toad activity yet. Well, their mating time has just begun, and I will go there next weekend again, to see if there are any more of them, and also to take some more of the close-up pictures, that I couldn't do then, because toads were still very cautious. At the peak of their mating seson, you can walk straight up to them and the males won't even care. 


The patterns of some of the males were like jaguars and some of the females were almous red. 




While I was walking round the pond, I was also stuned by the ‘’fields’’ of Spring Crocus (Cornus vernus).






Snow flakes are still in full bloom.



Wood anemone (Anemone nemorosa) flowers were gently smiling to the sun.





Sweet Violet (Viola odorata) was growing together with Common primrose (Primula vulgaris).




And the Coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara) was allready there as well.




But the Dog’s tooth violet (Erythronium dens-canis ) will still need about a week to come out.

I realy love spring when everything awakens from 'the sleep'.

So, read you next time!

Uroš

5 comments:

Indie said...

I love all the little frogs and toads in my yard, and they are definitely so beneficial. Good captures!
The field of crocus is so pretty! I love the spring.

TheGardeningBlog said...

I love the photos of the toads, they are fabulous shots! The field of crocuses ... too beautiful!

Donna said...

Toads are one of my favorite critters that visit my garden here in NY State. Too cold for them at the moment...love wildflowers as well and you have many of the same ones I do...just gorgeous to see them!

Diana Studer said...

That path thru the trees with a shimmering carpet of crocus is magnificent!

I'm not sure where you are, is it Slovenia? Would be good to put that in your About, for new readers like me.

Uros said...

thank you all for your compliments, and yes,it really looks like you all like the crocus field.

elephant's eye, yes i'm from slovenia and i will soon do some updates to a blog :).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...